Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Life's Like That

Let me share with you an incident that perhaps you will relate to in this present era.
As it goes, I was walking down my street with nothing particular on my mind (as always), just looking around, observing people. My destination, the general stores, was approximately a 5 minutes’ walk from my home. But wandering about taking my time, it took me nearly 20 minutes to get all the necessary items from the shop. Waving my bags I was slowly making my way back home when I suddenly crashed into a person walking in the opposite direction. After taking one look at the long hair and dangling earrings I immediately said “Oh! I am sorry didi!" turns out that I had badly offended the guy I had crashed into! Have you ever pondered upon the transformation that is taking place on the grounds of gender? I am actually seriously troubled by the exchange of roles between men and women. What with girls arm wrestling with boys - and winning! Oh yeah, winning fair and square. Noticed the appearances! Men applying nail polishes on nails that look manicured, wearing accessories that are not chunky anymore but delicate and flimsy! Guys with shiny and sleek hair which makes girls look at them with growing envy. The advertisement marketing fairness cream for men crossed the limit.
Nowadays you cannot even expect gentlemanly behaviour from men. Take for example the etiquette of holding the door open for a girl to pass through. As a matter of fact girls would be lucky if they do not get the doors banged on their faces. In buses despite the reservation system, I have seen young men rushing to sit on empty seats while old ladies are standing quivering with a determined look. This is again where girls have to stand up and give up their seats to show the guys what chivalry is.
Earlier women were portrayed as the more sensitive gender in soap operas where not one episode went by without their tears but now even that is changing. Guys’ crying has become a customary practice. For them the tough look is out and the soft look is in. so girls toughen up as it is again you who has to take up the responsibilities.
Well I am not criticizing anyone obviously. These are changing times with changing tastes. All I am afraid of is the future. Would it be a lady in armour saving the dude in distress?!

No comments: